The following are ideas to help you and your children feel safe away from home during an emergency:
Water - water pouches or juice boxes
Shelter - emergency bag or blanket
Protection - poncho
Warmth - warm packs
- Mini first aid kit (adhesive bandages, rolled bandages for sprains, pain reliever, any medication you need, gauze, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic first aid cream, etc.) Make sure your child knows how to use these first aid items properly.
- Small flashlight with extra batteries or a lightstick
- An identification card with their name, address, telephone number, emergency telephone numbers and birth date
- Book or similar item for relief from stress, boredom or discouragement
- A note that you love them and to stay calm
Have an evening of fun and help them understand what to do in a disaster. Teach them how to use the items in their kit and review where to meet if they are away from the family. You could role-play the steps to take during a disaster with your children.
Remember, following these steps will help you and your children feel safe away from home during an unexpected emergency.
Look for an upcoming post concerning preparation in the workplace.