- 2 tbsp
- Shallots or Yellow Onions, Chopped
- 2 tsp
- Vegetable Oil or Butter
- Garlic Cloves, Minced or 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 C
- long-grain White Rice, Rinsed
- 2 1/4 C
- Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp
- Salt (unless your broth is quite salty)
- 3/4 tsp
- 1/2 to 2/3 C
- Green Peas (fresh, frozen, or FD peas)
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Add shallots or onion and garlic. Cook until the onion begins to brown (2-3 minutes)
- Add rice, broth, turmeric, and salt. Add peas—enough to cover the top of the liquid as they float
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and allow mixture to simmer until rice is tender—about 20-25 minutes.
- Mix and serve. Traditionally this is served with roast chicken or sliced roast turkey breast.
You can substitute cooked, drained black beans for peas if you prefer. Some cooks add a little saffron to the rice water for extra color and flavor, but it is expensive.
Adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-spanish-yellow-rice-362868