Blackberry Hand Pies Recipe
Yields: 4-6 pies
- 1 1/2 Cups
- Emergency Essentials Freeze Dried Marion Blackberries
- 2/3 Cup
- Emergency Essentials Small Apple Slices
- 1/8 teaspoon
- Emergency Essentials Premium Korintji Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup
- Emergency Essentials White Sugar
- 1 T
- Emergency Essentials Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup
- drained water from reconstituting fruit, divided.
- Reconstitute blackberries and apples; drain, reserving abut 1/2 cup of water
- Chop reconstituted apples into small pieces.
- Place fruit in medium-sized, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cinnamon and sugar, and about 1/4 cup of saved water.
- Cook, stirring often, until fruit is soft and most of the water is absorbed.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch with the other 1/4 cup of reserved water.
- Add to fruit mixture and stir well. Continue cooking for a few minutes until the filling thickens.
- Set aside to cool, then chill until ready to use.
- 1 1/4 Cups
- Emergency Essentials White Flour
- 2 tablespoons
- Emergency Essentials Shortening Powder
- 3 to 6 tablespoons
- Ice Water
- Emergency Essentials Iodized Salt
- 6 Tablespoons
- Red Feather Butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- Whisk shortening powder and salt with flour in a mixing bowl.
- Blend butter into dry ingredients using a food processor, pastry tool, fork, or by rubbing the mixture between your finger until the consistency resembles a coarse meal with only pea-sized lumps of butter left in it.
- Add ice water gradually until dough can easily form a ball that can be kneaded.
- Wrap dough ball in plastic and chill until ready to use - at least an hour, or up to a day.
Cinnamon Sugar Egg Wash:
- 1 TBS
- Emergency Essentials Egg White Powder, reconstituted to make one egg
- Cinnamon sugar into reconstituted egg to taste.
- Reconstitute Egg White Powder according to package directions to make one eggs worth
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar into reconstituted egg to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out dough onto a floured surface to 1/8 inch thick. Using a knife or pastry wheel, cut 5 inch circles. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of filling onto the center of your circle. Fold dough over filling and seal shut by pressing the edges well with your fingers. Fold the edges over 1/4 inch and press with the tines of a fork. Re-roll dough scraps and repeat process until dough is gone.
- Place hand pies on a floured pan, or on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Brush each pie with cinnamon sugar egg wash. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until pies are golden brown.
Assembling the Hand Pies:
Adapted form GourmetGirl1.blogspot.com
Products You Might Like