Pearled Barley and Ground Beef Soup Recipe
- 2/3 C
- Emergency Essentials™ pearled barley
- 2 C
- Emergency Essentials™ freeze-dried ground beef
- 2/3 - 1 C
- Emergency Essentials™ freeze-dried chopped onion (I really like onions so I put 1 cup)
- 1 Tbs
- Emergency Essentials™ freeze-dried minced garlic
- 1 C
- Emergency Essentials™ freeze-dried carrots
- 3/4 - 1 C
- Emergency Essentials™ freeze-dried celery
- 4 Tbs
- Emergency Essentials™ tomato powder
- 4 Tbs
- Emergency Essentials™ vegetarian beef-flavored broth
- 16-18 C
- water (depends on how brothy you want to make it, add more if 18 isn’t enough!)
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp
- lemon pepper or Pinch of cinnamon or 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 C
- minced parsley to garnish
- 2 Tbs
- Emergency Essentials™ sour cream powder
Put water in the slow cooker, solar oven, or whatever cooking equipment you’ll use. We used a slow cooker. Let the water heat while you’re gathering ingredients. (If you need to add water during cooking, boil the water first if possible; adding cold water will slow down your cooking time.) Sort and rinse barley; add to cooker. In a large bowl mix the remaining ingredients. Add to cooker and stir.
Note: Because you’re making a soup you don’t need to rehydrate the ingredients before use. (That’s why this recipe has so much water.) The ingredients will float until hydrated – so don’t worry if they’re bobbing around. They’ll settle down and turn into a delicious, hearty soup.
Cook time for slow cooker: Cook on high for 2.5 hours, or until barley is tender.
Conventional (on the stove): Bring to a boil then let simmer for 1 hour or until barley is tender.
You can easily make this a vegetarian recipe. Just substitute lentils for the beef and vegetable broth for the beef broth. (Note: Our beef broth is vegetarian broth with beef flavor, so technically you can keep this ingredient.)
Write A Review