works as advertised
does just what it says it does. heats a meal in 20 minutes.
the food is not hot enough to burn you, not just from the oven hot, but hot enough to be called a hot meal.
heater bag gets too hot to touch, so donﾒt try to keep it in a back pack and walk while it is heating.
it produces harmless fumes, but you will smell it in a tent, or anyplace enclosed. so, leave outside or near a window.
it leaves a residue on the inside of the heater bag, so be sure to close the meal you are heating, to keep the residue off your food.
Posted on 2/2/11 by frank
Fantastic Flameless Heater
I bought a number of these for my Get Out of Dodge (bug out) bag. However, in the words of W.C. Fields, "things happened." Recently, the power was knocked out after a fierce windstorm. There was no heat, and I could not cook. I did not want to use the butane camping stoves indoors (it was below freezing outside), so I tried the Mountain House Flameless Heater. Zowie! The bag is big enough to handle TWO single serving bags at the same time, or a larger double serving. After about 20 minutes of seeing the bag shake, make noise, and emit steam, I had a nice, HOT breakfast! It will also heat up a standard MRE (MRE heaters tend to be duds), and even a Datrex water pouch! Heck, these are not only good for camping, hunting, hiking, and bugging out; but also for a power outage! Just make sure to let the bag heat up outside, because of the gases emitted. Other than that, I'm getting more of these!
Posted on 12/3/10 by Walter
There's not much to say, it's simple stupid to use, same concept as the MRE heaters. Anyone can use it, Maybe a bit expensive if you plan on having it as part of backup kit for more than a week, but it does the job and then some.
Posted on 7/7/08 by ChristopherWrite A Review
- Additional Info
Easy To Use:
- The Mountain Oven Flameless Heating kit is designed to be used only with Mountain house meals packaged in new stand-up pouches. Five uses per kit.
- 1. Prepare your favorite Mountain House meal following the instructions printed on the meal pouch EXCEPT use ambient temperature. potable (drinking) water, instead of boiling water.
- 2. Tear open Mountain Oven insulated zipper pouch and remove kit components from inner plastic storage bag. Place one heat activation pad flat in the bottom of the insulated zipper pouch
- 3. Fill plastic bottle with water to fill line and add one salt tablet. Shake bottle until salt tablet dissolves. Pour the salt water from bottle onto the heat activation pad.
- 4. Immediately place the Mountain House meal pouch upright inside Mountain Oven insulated zipper pouch and close zipper. The heat activation pad will begin to heat.
- 5. Wait 20 minutes. Carefully open zipper and remove the Mountain House meal. Stir and serve.