- Label Info
% Daily Value Serving Size 1 Bar (76 g, 2.67 oz) Servings Per Container 3 Amount Per Serving Calories 400 Calories From Fat 210 Total Fat 23 g 36% Saturated Fat 7 g 34 Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Sodium 23 mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 46 g 15% Dietary Fiber 2 g 9% Sugars 14 g Protein 3 g Vitamin A 50% Vitamin C 60% Calcium 50% Iron 10%
Ingredients: Enriched flour, (added vitamins A, B1, B2, D, E, B6, B12, niacin, iron, folic acid, magnesium, panththenic acid, calcium, phosphorous), vegetable shortenging (partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils), granulated sugar, corn starch, corn syrup, natural lemon flavor, artificial butter flavor, artificial vanilla flavor, (tantrazine, FD&C yellow #5, FD&C red #40), artificial color, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), gamma/delta tocopherois as a natural antioxidant.
I've tried the Datrex, S.O.S. and Millennium Bars, and Mainstay. Of them all Mainstay is the only one I like. First time purchase was the 3600 (10 pieces) and last few had dried out some by the time I got to eating them. The 2400 (6 pieces) were still nice and moist during the two days I ate on them, but think I'll stock the 1200 (3 pieces) for the small size that can tuck easier into the outside pocket of my backpack and also allows me the freedom to eat something else the next day.
Posted on 6/3/14 by Chinaberry
For my family, and a few extended family members, these bars came in 3rd place when compared against Datrex and S.O.S. bars.
That said, they were good enough that I will purchase these to add variety to our 72 hour family kit.
* Most nutritious of the three brands. My family is prone to respiratory infection. In a stressful situation, it's nice to know my emergency food supply won't leave us lacking.
* Packaging. The outer packaging is easy to open, and, of the three brands tested, Mainstay is the only brand with no inner packaging. I have no doubt my 9-year-old could help herself to these.
* Taste. To me, they taste like egg-free sugar cookie dough. As your saliva mixes with the biscuit, it even takes on the same texture.
* Taste - these will make a nice change-up from the coconut of the other two brands.
* Taste. My wife hated the taste and texture. She also hates raw cookie dough. My kids and I liked these fine, but preferred the coconut taste of the others. Wife hated them.
* No inner packaging - in the Great Plains, most of our disaster scenarios (thunderstorm/tornado/flood, to a lesser extent winter storms) involve water. We will have to purchase these smaller ration sizes instead of the 2400 or 3600 Calorie rations.
* Awkward bar size - you won't be able to break these in half very easily, these will be difficult with my small children.
* Difficult to bite into - firm texture and an awkward size make these difficult to bite into for small children or those with sensitive teeth. But they are too firm to easily cut with a knife.
These will still go in our pack, but more for the flavor variety - I expect that if we are truly stuck for three days and eating these, they will seem much better!
Posted on 4/11/14 by Nick
My Picky Kids Liked It
Unlike true sea rations, these actually taste REALLY good. If you like lemon pound cake, you will love the taste of the Mainstay Food Bar. My kids, who don't like the taste of most foods, LOVED the taste of this bar. They are perfect for your "on the go" 72 hour kit.
Posted on 4/28/10 by Dan
I bought some of these bars a few years ago and decided to rotate them out.
Posted on 3/19/09 by GaryWrite A Review
- Additional Info
- Mainstay™ is Kosher and it meets the dictates for Halal
- Withstands Temperatures of -40° F to 300° F
- Contains no cholesterol or tropical oils.
Mainstay™ Calorie Food Bars are prepared under strict supervision in their own bakery to ensure consistent quality and freshness.
3,600 Calorie Size (9 pre-measured 400 Calorie Meals); 2,400 Calorie Size (6 pre-measured 400 Calorie Meals); and 1,200 Calorie Size (3 pre-measured 400 Calorie Meals).