Fruit Compote - Reconstitute your choice of 3 or 4 of the following fruits (but don't drain them; use water for cooking):
- Freeze Dried Sweetened Tart Cherries
- Freeze Dried Pineapple Dices
- Freeze Dried Pears
- Freeze Dried Apples
- Freeze Dried Raspberries
- Freeze Dried Apricots
Combine 3 cups of your choice of reconstituted fruits in a saucepan, along with ¾ cup of their left-over water and 1/2 cup of [Sugar]. Simmer over medium-low heat until fruits are cooked but not mushy. Stir often (but gently) so the fruit doesn't scorch.
Serve warm or cold with ham, pork chops, or poultry dinners, as a dessert with or without ice cream, or as a great accompaniment to a breakfast casserole for brunch.
- A sprinkle of Cinnamon, cloves, ginger, or nutmeg with the sugar.
- One tablespoon lemon juice or 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate as fruits simmer.
- Nuts or dried cranberries
The compotes fetured here are:
- Apple-Cherry-Berry compote (apples, cherries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, with a dash of cinnamon and clove added at the same time as the sugar).
- Pineapple-Cherry-Mango compote (pineapple, cherries, mango, with a dash of powdered ginger added along with the sugar).