- Label Info
% Daily Value Serving Size 1 Bar (42 g) Servings Per Container 12 Amount Per Serving Calories 200 Calories From Fat 0 Total Fat 9 g Saturated Fat 0 g 0 Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Sodium 18% Total Carbohydrate 27 g Dietary Fiber 0 g 2% Sugars 0 g Protein 3 g 16% Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 0%
Ingredients: Wheat flour, vegetable shortening, cane sugar, water, coconut, and salt.
My family sampled this, SOS, and Mainstay bars. The short of it is that, while not the family favorite, we will continue purchasing these (and the others, too).
Family is my wife and I, and two young girls (6 and 9).
* Clear exterior packaging - I would expect my 9-year-old could easily get the package open.
* Smaller individual portions - each is 200 Calories. This is better for kids. If you are preparing for emergency scenarios where you would be inclined to share (we are - high likelihood of young family members with us), the smaller portions makes it a lot easier.
* Taste - Noticeable, but fairly light, coconut flavor. Not offensive to anyone in the family (including some cousins and grand-parents that sampled it, too).
* Individually wrapped - in the Great Plains, our most likely scenarios are weather-related: thunderstorms/tornadoes/floods or winter storms. After opening a pack, I would not be concerned about water ruining the remaining rations.
* Easy to bite into - family members with sensitive/weak front teeth should not have a problem.
* Individual servings are wrapped with a difficult-to-open plastic. It is *very* stretchy, and quite strong. I was unable to open it without some implement. I always have a knife, and one is in our go-bag, but it could be a hindrance in some situations.
* Very dry and crumbly. Especially with kids, you will likely need to take care not to waste a significant portion. Portions break easily, even when removing from inner wrapping.
This was second-favorite for the family, behind the S.O.S bar (which is more cookie-like - much sweeter). For variety's sake, we will have a couple of these in our go-bag.
Posted on 4/11/14 by Nick
Note that the instructions say to nibble. The coconut odor is pronounced, but I like it.
Posted on 8/21/11 by Cat-herder
12 individually wrapped 200 calorie food bars. Great coconut flavor which is easy to consume. The package is lightweight and ideal for a snack or something on a trip or as a supplement to other foods. For a 72 hour kit, go for the 3600, because 4 bars a day is just not enough.
Posted on 7/11/11 by Mike
Good but inconvenient packaging
Posted on 12/3/08 by CarlWrite A Review
- Additional Info
Package Weight: 525 Grams (18.5 oz)
Dimensions: 3” high x 3.5” wide x 2.5” deep
- 2,400 Calorie Size and 3,600 Calorie Size