Chicken Paprikash (Hungarian) Recipe
- 2 lbs.
- Chicken pieces or 4 cups reconstituted Emergency Essentials Freeze-Dried White Chicken
- 4 TBLS
- Clarified Butter or canola oil
- 1/2 C
- Reconstituted Emergency Essentials Freeze Dried Chopped Onions, drained
- 1/2 C
- Reconstituted Emergency Essentials Green Pepper Dices, drained
- 1 TSP
- Emergency Essentials Minced Garlic
- 1 C
- Reconstituted Emergency Essentials Freeze Dried Tomatoes
- 1-2 TBLS
- Sweet or hot Hungarian paprika
- Emergency Essentials Iodized Salt and Emergency Essentials Mesh Black Pepper to taste
- 3/4 C
- 1 C
- Reconstituted Emergency Essentials Sour Cream Powder mixed with flour (Whisk ¼ cup sour cream powder and 2 tablespoons flour with 1½ cups water, blending well)
- In a heavy skillet, add onions and peppers to hot oil or butter, saute for just a minute or so, then add chicken pieces and garlic. Stir well to coat chicken. (If using fresh chicken, cover and allow to cook over medium-low heat until chicken is tender, adding a little water to keep veggies from scorching).
- Remove chicken and place in a bowl.
- Add tomatoes, paprika, salt and pepper, and water to skillet. Cook sauce for a few minutes, and then stir in the sour cream and flour mixture. Blend sauce well and simmer until it is thickened and bubbling.
- Add chicken back in. Allow to warm through
- Serve over buttered Emergency Essentials Egg Noodles or hot cooked Emergency Essentials White Rice.
Note:In some parts of Hungary the green pepper is omitted, and they use rendered chicken fat instead of butter or oil. You can add ½ cup reconstituted, drained [mushroom slices] if desired.
- Featured Products