It’s no secret that here at Emergency Essentials, we love Mountain House food. Not only does Mountain House taste great, but it’s also perfect for emergencies or your everyday needs with great quality, selection, and shelf life.
But you don’t have to take our word for it. The history of the Mountain House Company and their unique freeze-drying process help the product speak for itself.
Here are six reasons why Mountain House is awesome:
1. They’re perfect for long-term storage: Mountain House has been in business for 40+ years. They’ve perfected the art of freeze-drying and packaging freeze-dried meals for long-term storage. Their products have been scientifically proven to store for at least 25 years.
2. Each meal uses fresh ingredients: Since Mountain House only uses fresh ingredients, the nutritional value, color, and texture of the food is preserved during the freeze drying process. This means that you can enjoy the same nutritional benefits you would from eating a fresh apple each time you bite into a Mountain House freeze-dried apple slice.
3. Each meal has a home-cooked taste: Instead of freeze-drying each individual component in the meal and then packaging it all together, Mountain House prepares and cooks each meal before freeze-drying. To ensure optimal flavor and to enhance the quality of each meal, Mountain House adds noodles into the package after the freeze-drying process.
As you add water to your meal, the noodles will cook in the same time it takes to reconstitute the other components, so you’ll have tender noodles to enjoy with each meal. This method of freeze-drying gives each Mountain House meal a home cooked taste that everyone enjoys.
Added bonus: each meal is cooked by trained, professional chefs (no wonder it’s so good!)
4. Each meal is quick and simple to prepare: The best thing about Mountain House meals is that they are easy to prepare. All you have to do is add hot water, wait 8-10 minutes, and voila, dinner is served.
5. You can use Mountain House for more than just emergencies: Mountain House isn’t only good in emergencies, but it is also perfect for camping trips, a quick hot meal for when you don’t feel like cooking, and for preparing a quick meal for an ailing neighbor.
Fun fact: Did you know? Mountain House’s parent company, Oregon Freeze-Dry began by selling freeze-dried meals to the military during the Vietnam War. Since 1968, Mountain House has been trusted to feed troops in every theater of combat.
6. Mountain House is improving each day: Mountain House has a dedicated team of researchers that work each day to ensure that Mountain House foods taste great. They even have a sensory group that evaluates the taste, texture, and flavor of each meal to make sure that each product is high quality.
Check out this video to learn more about Mountain House’s Research and development team and why Mountain House is just plain awesome:
What do you love about Mountain House products? Let us know in the comments
*Editor’s Note about the Image at the top of this post: Although this picture looks like Mountain House cans are stored in the garage, we do not recommend keeping your food storage in a garage for long-term storage. Fluctuations in temperature, odors, and other chemicals can lessen the quality (and longevity) of your food.
For more info on studies about Mountain House, check out the results of this Oregon State University study on Mountain House products http://safecastle.com/documents/OSU-Sensory-Report.pdf